Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sounds like...

If I had any criticism of "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" - and I should like to point out that I loved it, Aaron Sorkin is a genius - it would be that every character was smart, each one had a wise-crack on their lips. Every single one of them.

But then I didn't watch it for realism I watched it for satirical brilliance. And that's what I got.

But sameness of characters is something that has bothered me recently - not sameness within a script, I know I don't do that but sameness between scripts. I have been creating these scripts and been concerned that my lead characters are all the same. I mean they're not actually the same but they have similar mind-sets.

Then something occurred to me this evening: they won't be played by the same actor (unless my cunning plan to have my daughter play all the lead roles comes to fruition). And every actor will bring something different to the different roles - so it really doesn't matter. (Heaves sigh of relief.)

I'm now up to 13 pages of Tec. It's going to need some tightening but this is only the first draft.

On the home front: The Boy's audition for CBBC show Bamzooki went very well yesterday, as far as I can tell. He's very calm, genuine and has no problem treating adults as equals (because most of the adults he knows treat him as an equal). Anyway he took the leadership of the group he was put in, without being "controlling" - he's a natural leader, like his sister, and his mother - fearlessly did the presentations that were required. And had no problem working with the camera - he'd had some previous experience of that when he auditioned for "Are You Smarter Than a 10 Year Old?".

I was in the other room with the parents who were all nice people - decent and caring, wanting their child to succeed but no pushiness, and happy that they've "had the experience".

Apparently the latest we'll hear is July.





What's on the turntable? Nothing, forgot to put some music on.

No comments: