Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Stir crazy

(Before I start I better put something on the turntable, for when I get to the end...)

So I've done three days in the new job -- and how much work have I done?

Nil.

This is silly. Actually no, it's not silly, it's government. (A government contract no less, but it's okay, I don't have to shoot you now that I've told you.) I'm a team leader but they haven't employed my team yet. They might turn up sometime next week.

Meanwhile Lars and I are going stir crazy. We're both used to commercial environments demanding results yesterday! I know, some people might be grateful for this level of work, but I'm just not one of those people.

Oooh, exciting. I bought myself a mobile modem. Tonight is the experiment before I decide whether to return it or not. I was a bit annoyed at it last night because it was just not working at all well. But I think I've got the measure of it now, and discovered a different lead which plugs into two USB ports and gives it a bit of extra ooomph. I watched a YouTube video (this one on Lucy's blog, it's brilliant) with no drop-out. I might try some BBC7 later (that's radio) and even give a go to come video, but I'm only allowed 3 Gig per month and a half hour TV show is 500Mb. The downloads are a bit slow but it's not bad.

I wrote about 6 pages of "Une Nuit a Paris" last night, and did some more research about Parisian brothels and prostitution. Interesting subject and there's some little snippets of history I can include in the script so that I can pretend to be clever.

And then I did some work on the dialogue of Monsters. Wonderful reader Lucy (blog as linked above) commented, last time she read the script, that my dialogue was fine but a bit soap, and I'd rather it was more Joss Whedon (I should be so lucky).

Anyway I'd best sign off and get on with some real work.



What's on the turntable? "My Immortal" by Evanescence, from "Fallen"

No comments: