Friday, March 20, 2009

Oh. My. God. #4

Weirdly I'd been hoping that the week would end on a high point ... and it did.

Not as high as it could go, I haven't got a commission to write for Dr Who. I haven't got a commission to write for anything at all. But I have got as close to getting a commission for a major TV series that you can get without actually getting one. (Not including shadowing schemes.)

Seriously. I have been turned down as a writer for a major TV series - because they are full up for this series. The person concerned is still very interested in seeing anything else that I write on spec and said "I'll certainly keep him in mind for future projects though, and if things go well we may need more writers for *** next time."

(There will be some who may suggest "he was being nice" well, people in his position don't say things like that unless they mean them, because the last thing they want is to be pestered by people they didn't turn away firmly enough.)

OMG. Things had been quiet so long my self-confidence was eroding around the edges.

There is hope, guys, just keep at it. Persistence is the key.




What's on the turntable? Nothing, but "Crocodile Dundee" is on the TV. Interesting film, it's one of those where the protagonist does not have a character arc (like "The Fugitive") but stays firm, while the world changes around them.

5 comments:

Robin Kelly said...

Unlucky. Strangely, missing out when you're that close causes some writers to give up entirely when, as you say, it should be a boost to the confidence and ensuring we keep the momentum going.

potdoll said...

That's bloody brilliant! Wheeeeee!

Scaramanga said...

Good for you.

It is easy for the negative person to say they were being disingenuous, but thats just a security mechanism for them to hide their doubt about their abilities.

I like to believe that people mean what they say and so to you I say well done.

Charles

David Lemon said...

I know it can seem like a miss is as good as a mile, but it really isn't. As someone who goes up for a lot more jobs than they actually get (as most jobbing writers do) I know exactly how hard it is. Just getting your work seen and your name known plays a very big part.
It's also worth remembering that whoever read your script could well move onto other projects and hopefully consider you for those too.
My tip is to keep in touch with them-you never know what's round the corner...

Adaddinsane said...

There's the adage that goes: "Anyone who can be persuaded to give up writing should be."

A year ago nobody knew who I was (I hadn't started my blog nor met Philip Shelley) how can this be anything but a massive improvement?

I think it is (as Potty says) bloody brilliant.