Monday, June 16, 2008

Water

It's been a while since I've written anything about living here in Reading, but I had a letter today that's prompted a description of Fun and Games with Thames Water.

When one moves into a new dwelling one must inform the various utility companies about your new occupancy. As I am a decent law-abiding citizen I did so.

I discovered that Thames Water are my water supplier and sent them a letter explaining I'd be here for 6 months.

In response they sent me a bill for one year's water in advance, a total of about £240, or £20 per month. I was miffed, since I had been quite clear in my letter.

I returned their bill and a letter explaining that I was not about to pay for a year in advance when I wouldn't be here for half of it.

A couple of weeks later I received payment book, for 8 months, at £30 per month (totalling, yes you noticed, £240). This time I was really not happy.

I sent a letter explaining that though they might take me for an idiot, I was not one and was capable of basic arithmetic, and I was not about to pay them £30 per month. Today I received a letter saying they could accommodate me for 6 or 8 months at £20/month. Which was a definite improvement.

Of course, the thing is, looks like I will be here for a year after all if the employer wants to keep me. But don't tell them that, I'll wait till it happens.



What's on the turntable?

No comments: