Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Blunt End

I got an e-mail back from the BBC Writersroom today saying that I didn't get anywhere in the Sharps competition, of course I'm a little disappointed however in some ways it's probably a good thing, I wasn't happy about taking another day and then another week off work -- as a contractor I don't get paid under those circumstances.

You see, the inner-optimist is irrepressible: presented with a failure, the silver-lining is quickly highlighted. Seriously, what can you do? (Mind you, I'm still wondering where my inner-pessimist went...)

On the other hand I received another e-mail from my script consultant in response to my response to his response... I'll start again:

I sent a script to him, he wrote his notes (and don't forget, professional script editor and lots of other related stuff on TV shows you've heard of and maybe even like, I know I do). So I got his notes (he really liked the script - I mean, he really liked it, but he felt it wasn't as good as it could be), from which I figured out how to fix those things he felt could be better.

I wrote down what I thought would fix it and sent that to him. Today he came back and said that he thought my ideas would indeed fix the problems. Yay.

I saw it as a kind of test.

When directors are auditioning actors they often ask them to play the same scene in different ways. It's easy to make the mistake of thinking that they are testing the actor's ability to act. Nope. They are testing the actor's ability to take direction.

The same goes for notes. Can you take the notes and do something with them? Of course not all notes are good notes, but with someone who has this kind of experience, they are. It's entirely possible that he didn't see it as a test, but I did for my own confidence in my ability to write.

Another little boost.




What's on the turntable? Nothing. I have been listening to a reading of an abridged version of "Methusaleh's Children" by Robert Heinlein on BBC7, but my truly awful Internet connection is getting in the way.

No comments: