Saturday, June 07, 2008

Cheltenham Screenwriters Festival and First Class

I have booked for the Festival though I haven't got anywhere to stay yet, it's a toss up between going for something comfortable and expensive. Or not.

It's a bit like travelling first class on trains, which I have started doing -- I'm not made of money but just having leg-room, not being overcrowded and having the opportunity to write in comfort for 3 hours is not to be sniffed at.

You can usually get a cheap upgrade on weekends (and bank holidays), you just have to find an unreserved seat and sit in it. Then ask for an upgrade when the conductor comes around. Plus you get free coffee (with real milk) and free food.

Plus if you buy sufficiently in advance you can often get them at silly prices - £26 single for Reading to Manchester. Which is just nuts because the standard single is £52. The standard return is £64, (so £32 each way) and a £15 upgrade, but I can't do that on Friday afternoons.

It's worth it.

So, do I go for comfort or cheapness? I haven't decided.

(First class on Friday allowed me to get to reach 20 pages on my "Sharps" short, and I'm liking it.



What's on the turntable? "Starlight" by ELO from "Out of the Blue"

No comments: