Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Air tonight

Did no writing yesterday evening because I was late back from work due to meetings and train problems, and I was tired. I did manage to damage my thumb trying to fix the exploded kettle. If I'd been able to get into the base I could have rewired it. But I couldn't pry it loose. Brute force and ignorance didn't work.

Day job was a bit poo yesterday, didn't really get anything finished, today was better. Thing with programming, which is similar to writing: people don't understand how much work goes into it. They see what's on the surface and never appreciate what's behind the scenes (behind the scenes, geddit?). Do something quick that looks shiny and they say "oooh, that's clever, must have taken you ages". Do something really complicated but isn't showy and they wonder what you've been doing all week.

This evening I did some reading, wrote some e-mails and got an e-mail from a friend containing some of a book he's been writing which he wanted me to comment on. I will but not tonight.

Eventually sat down to work on the revisions for Air. It's all been going nicely and I nearly finished, but the end needs some major work (since both sets of feedback felt they'd been short-changed) so I shall give in for the evening and go to bed.



What's on the turntable? "Amarok" by Mike Oldfield (4 mins in)

No comments: