Sunday, September 21, 2008

Serendipity

There's a thing.

My last three posts this evening all mentioned that Mike Oldfield's Incantations album was on the turntable ... currently it's the original Tubular Bells.

I realised that, apart from liking his music, I know virtually nothing about him.

So I looked him up. Wikipedia is generally great as long as the subject is not contentious, but as soon as you get into areas of dispute it's about as trustworthy as a compulsive liar.

Anyway, turns out Mike Oldfield was born and raised in Reading, Berks, where I am now. And that he moved with his parents to Harold Wood, Essex, which is where I was brought up. Though he is 5 years older than me, I might have passed him on the street.

Gosh.



What's on the turntable? "Tubular Bells, Part One" by Mike Oldfield from "Tubular Bells"

1 comment:

Paul Garrard said...

serendipity is indeed a fine thing:
http://serendipity.of-course.co.uk