Sunday, October 18, 2009

Up

So..... I saw Up today. It is an exceptionally good movie.

But I have to say that this is not a kids' movie. Really.

This is not to say that child from, say, 8 up isn't going to enjoy it, they will. But this is not a kids' movie. There were a lot of children in the auditorium who were under 8 (of course! It's Pixar, it's about an old man, a kid and balloons).

I'm not going to say a lot about it, so much has been said by others, I will say that if you haven't seen it then I recommend taking tissues, you'll need them in the first 10 minutes, and maybe a couple of times after that. I did.

The imagery of this movie is so powerful that I can't even think about those first 10 minutes without welling up again.

This is a film about character, every one of them is beautifully drawn, and every one of them, even the animals, have their needs and goals. It's also a perfect example of how to build conflict into every scene naturally (even into the stair-lift scene). It has excellent set-ups and pay-offs throughout.

And, the Teacher and I agree, this is a devastatingly sad movie.

If it hadn't been Pixar this would never have been made.

Absolutely not for kids.

See it.



What's on the turntable? "Chanson d'amour" by The Manhattan Transfer

No comments: