Saturday, October 31, 2009

Ambivalence

So, was I ambivalent about SWF'09?

I can see why one might think I was.

I'm no newbie when it comes to living (old fat bastard might be more accurate) therefore I have opinions, very strong opinions. Sometimes those opinions differ from the expressed opinions of people who supposedly "know" - and I don't care. (Old fat and opinionated.) And sometimes I know I'm right, so I get annoyed because people who don't know the truth are getting conned.

The trouble is that as I spent most of the time tired (mostly because of the hotel bed) my annoyance tended to stick and be expressed out of proportion to the good things.

There is no doubt that SWF is incredibly valuable as a networking opportunity - my last blog should have demonstrated that.

But I think the most valuable factor is being with other writers. We are the creators without which drama would not exist in any form, but what we do is fundamentally lonely. A room full of writers, or even a table full of writers, is a phenomenal thing and a very encouraging thing.

So, from that viewpoint, SWF is actually vital. The fundamental factor required for success isn't talent (unfortunately) it's persistence. And it's easier to keep at it when you've met a bunch of like-minded people.

Any apparent ambivalence stems from personal disagreements with specific people.

I am not ambivalent about SWF.



What's on the turntable? "Mortal Kombat"s on the TV...

No comments: