Saturday, October 18, 2008

That "Once Upon A Time" Moment

It's funny really, ever since finishing "Monsters" I've been rather ambivalent towards the next piece of writing. No rush, not really important, I can take it or leave it. Stuff like that.

Of course there was the non-starter of "One Night in Paris", which didn't help. And I sit around pontificating about how I've been a professional writer for over 20 years and blank pages don't scare me.

Then there was the slow build up of "Air" with that bit of work I did last week and the excitement last night of getting the structure straight.

All this time I've had the opening scene in my head. I've known exactly how this story begins, the images vivid in my mind.

I did a little more work this evening on the plot lines. I had realised my descriptions of the plots were glib. A protagonist is only as good as the intentions of the antagonist. You make the protagonist bigger by making the antagonist bigger. My descriptions were vague when it came to what the antagonist actually intended. So I got those tightened up.

And finally the force of water behind the dam became too much. I couldn't "not write" any longer.

So I launched Celtx, sorted out the various options that I wanted, prepared the title page, and saved the otherwise empty file up to celtx.com (a backup that's guaranteed to be off-site and, depending where you are, in a completely different country).

And then I began to write the opening scene, and a shiver of delight ran through me as the images began to flow. I was excited again, I haven't felt that way in quite a while.

... and then I discovered that what I had been imagining as the first scene wasn't the first scene after all but something completely different.

Writing's full of surprises.



What's on the turntable? "Heads we're dancing" by Kate Bush from "Sensual World"

No comments: