Thursday, October 02, 2008

Inspirational addendum

In reference to my first Inspiration about Cider with Rosie by Laurie Lee, it seems I can nail it down to a specific school term.

As mentioned in an earlier blog I reached the exciting age of 50 a couple of weeks ago. I say "exciting" though frankly I can't say I've noticed any specific changes. Still no evidence of age being treated with deference. Hum ho.

My parents, currently heading into their 80s, decided to send me a rather special present, my Grammar school reports. Eeek.

Quite fascinating and amusing especially from the highly non-PC teacher's comments particularly in English: Form 3Q (equivalent of today's Year 9) Grade C: "His oral contribution is quite good but bhis written work is sometimes rather feeble." and later that year Grade D: "He has plenty of ability but sometimes lethargy gets the better of him."

We were even rated as "position in class" the remark above gave me a 23rd out of 27.

But less than 4 months later: Grade B, position 5, "He has worked hard this term and deserves his exam success." So there you have it, my guess is I encountered "Cider with Rosie" somewhere in those 4 months.

Other inspirations:
  1. The Art of Words
  2. "It's a tragedy"
  3. Haiku
  4. Art of Words addendum (this one)
  5. Perspiration



What's on the turntable? "Chewing a bone" by Toby the dog from "Noises I can make"

No comments: