Sunday, August 10, 2008

Swimming against the tide

My wife and I have always agreed that if we ever came to write an autobiography it should be called "Swimming against the Tide". there are two types of people in this world (well, okay, there are more, but for the purposes of this blog, just two.) Those who do as they're told, and those that don't.

We've always been of the latter variety.

Hence my argument with Thames Water. They have been trying to make me pay for a whole year of water supply in advance. I refused. There has been an exchange of letters. Several exchanges.

In their last letter they expressed a veiled threat about failure to pay. In return I told them not to mistake a refusal to pay with an inability to pay. My position was quite simple: their rates meant that water supply costs £20/month, I refused to pay more than that. I did not object to catching up on what was as yet unpaid, as long as it was at £20/month.

On returning to my flat this evening I found a letter. It was a payment book for water at £20/month. Which meant I won.

Gosh.



What's on the turntable? "This Flight Tonight" by Joni Mitchell from "Blue"

No comments: