Saturday, May 03, 2008

More deadlines

Excellent.

The BBC has a new writers' "opportunity", for which read "competition".

It's called Sharps and the deadline is two weeks after the deadline for the Bohemian Project. So that fills up my time nicely. This one is to write a 30-minute drama based on "The Nation's Health" interpreted whatever way you want, so doesn't have to be a hospital drama. Of course 30 minutes isn't a long time, and for me it's a bit too much like writing short stories. I never liked writing short stories - my imagination is too big and I have trouble keeping things small. So I shall have to try to think of a "point" to make, shorts are always about a "point". (Off the top of my head, I might do something on alternative medicine because of a complete [censored] I heard on the radio.)

The prize for Sharps is quite handy, the top 20 get a workshop and the top 8 from that get a week-long residential and mentoring. Luvverly.

I'm also planning to go to the Cheltenham Screenwriters Festival this year, a bit daunting but if I fulfill all these deadlines I'll have scripts and ideas in quantity. I've never had the cash for something like this before but the new job gives me the opportunity to do things I've never been able to do before.

On a personal note it's the Daughter's 17th birthday today with mega sleepover. Half a dozen teenagers running riot. They all want to watch Dr Who, so they're fine in my book. After that and a chinese, they'll be retiring to the lower ground floor (the house is not small) to watch DVDs and generally be teenage girls.



What's on the turntable? "Love is the Drug" by Bryan Ferry & Roxy Music from "Street Life" compilation

No comments: