Thursday, December 11, 2008

Oh. My. God. #3.5

Only my first post today. I'm trying to cut down.

Back in "Oh. My. God. #1" I had some excitement over the reply given to me by someone I knew from years ago - I just wanted to see if he could pass Monsters to someone who might be interested if he knew anybody. But he was interested.

After that I got complete silence. I wasn't downhearted, that's unfortunately how this business can work. So I decided to pop the script over to him anyway, with a note saying that I understood he was probably busy.

That was five or six weeks ago. Then today, up popped an e-mail from him apologising for the lack of communication and asking me to call.

Now, I'm not getting over-excited here, we had a chat. He said he really liked the Monsters script and that he'd like to work with me at some point in the future, but he's just sorting some things out. Might be sooner, might be later and, of course, it might be never. But the thought is pleasant indeed.

That's why this is only a semi-OMG, but it's a very nice one.

He did leave me with an interesting tidbit of information which I shall pass on: in this age of limited budgets and global markets you are far more likely to get backing for a TV project if it has international appeal. And the things that have international appeal are the so-called (I grit my teeth[1]) genre stories: SF and Cops mainly.

[1] Read this to explain why I grit my teeth at calling SF a genre.



What's on the turntable? "Somewhere in Between" by Kate Bush from "Aerial"

No comments: