Thursday, April 01, 2010

It's the first day of Scriptfrenzy and by sheer chance I have a free day so I'm getting ahead with my adaptation, sitting alone in this Birmingham hotel. On page 12 so far.

It has to be said this script is a work of love - as someone blogged recently the idea of not being passionate about a script you're written is a bit silly. But I really love this book. It's available for option.

It's a book that had a profound effect on me when I was young and, apart from having rounded characters for even the smallest bit part, it is gloriously visual and structured like a blockbuster*.

I just pray that I can communicate the original author's vision because no matter how beautiful I make it (assuming I do), it's a shadow of the original.

Mind you it's also a relief to finally get it out and on to paper ... well, electrons.

*Except the end, which needs to be very different to work as a movie ending. And the beginning which was a very nice beginning but not a movie beginning ... I'm also leaving out some main characters and combining others. Well look, a novel is not a movie and never will be, you can't be blind to these things.



What's on the turntable? "Fairground" by Simply Red from "Simplify"

1 comment:

Eleanor said...

Sounds fun. Adaptations are queer beasts.

I'm considering writing a prequel to a well known story - as soon as I've finished everything else I have on the "Do it now!" list. LOL. It's quite a long list.

So that's a while off yet.

It'll be fun!