Friday, April 17, 2009

Narrativitus Interruptus

I'm on the train. Virgin Trains have finally got their act together with wireless internet - over a year behind National Express.

I have been writing but I just realised something.

You have to make stories interesting. Mustn't bore the reader. Raymond Chandler said "When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand."

The way I keep things interesting is that when I feel a piece of narrative is on the verge of going on too long, I have something happen to redirect the narrative. It might be a change of scene, it might be something in the scene. But I just make sure it changes.

On the advice that "Come in late, leave early" on scenes, I always, always, always cut a scene back to before it can even logically end, just a tiny bit. The reader/viewer can fill in the rest and, per the other wisdom that "script momentum is what you don't write", that seems good technique.

Back to the script...



What's on the turntable? None, I'm in the Quiet Carriage.

No comments: