Sunday, July 29, 2012

Is that a good idea?

Do you listen to the John August/Craig Mazin podcast? You don't? Oh my, you should. The inside skinny (which is deeper than just "the skinny") on writing things, with particular reference to the Hollywood experience by two people who really know what they're talking about. Go here.

Anyway the interesting question of the week this time around was "Which script should I write next?" to which, in essence, the answer was: The one you'd love to see. The one you'd pay money to go and see.

Which is cool. It decided me on my next TV script (something which would be appointment TV for me) and just this evening, while watching the not-very-good Mummy 3, I had an idea. Just a concept really but, though I say so myself, it is awesome.

Scott at Go into the Story is keen to encourage writers to think of idea after idea (spend time each day just generating ideas), and learn to judge what are the excellent ones - anything less than excellent isn't worth working on. I admit I don't do that, at least not the way he suggests, but I do have ideas constantly. (I'll drive down the road, see someone standing by a wall - and invent a story idea as to why they're there based on the way they look, how they hold themselves and their emotional tone.)

Are you having enough ideas?


What's on the turntable? "Wicked Windows" by Jethro Tull from "J-Tull Dot Com"

1 comment:

DAVID BISHOP said...

Whenever an idea or a phrase or just a word that jangles my imagination happens along, I scrawl it on a post-it and stick it to the wall in my office. Thanks to GITS' Quest, I started turning those notes into loglines. Hit a fat dozen in five minutes and had to stop, as I'm meant to be writing a spec script. So, no shortage of ideas. Are they any good? Now, there's the rub...