Monday, July 11, 2011

A Quick Guide to Webseries

This week I have mostly been watching webseries.

I have observed that, with (very) few exceptions, webseries have the following qualities, in order of frequency:
  1. Bad scripts.
  2. Bad acting.
  3. Bad production values.
  4. Bad music.
Any combination of the above, but the first two are the winners by a huge margin and generally go together.

I have been doing this as research since I'm writing one.

The exceptions are created by people who already in the industry.

Comedy helps but only if it's actually funny.


What's on the turntable? "Man in the Moon" by Yes from "Open Your Eyes"

4 comments:

MarkGardner said...

I have to admit wondering which shows you've been watching. I admit that I'm a webseries creator myself and I know a lot of great shows that have amazing writing, acting and production quality. Most of them have no direct connection to established careers in the industry. Some great dramas are Compulsions, Tyranny, CELL (mine so I'm biased), Anyone But Me... The list could go on

Adaddinsane said...

I'm happy to be wrong. Obviously this is my opinion based on what I've been viewing.

I shall take a look at your suggestions.

Destini said...

I too would be curious, as Mark is, hat shows you are watching. Certainly not any of the many shows we have reviewed over the last year. There are bad shows out there but it's not at all hard to find the good and outstanding among the hundreds of web series available.

Adaddinsane said...

I did consider listing the shows I didn't like but then I thought that would just be mean.

I'm not intending to belittle the effort or desire (I have the same desire) ... just the results I've seen.

I'm going to do a follow-up post on this, probably next week.